SPS is now offering funding opportunities for undergraduate and graduate students to participate in educational training, workshops, meetings, and mentorships to help further their knowledge and career. The goal of this funding is to enable undergraduate and graduate students to engage in additional education and career development opportunities to enhance their personal development.
- Pursuing a degree (undergrad, graduate) in safety pharmacology, pharmacology, or related disciplines. Advisor/Supervisor of the candidate is not required to be a current member of the Safety Pharmacology Society, but nonmembers are encouraged to apply for membership.
- The activity can be in any area of physiology, pharmacology, neuroscience or other field related to the discipline of safety pharmacology. Educational activities with direct application to the field of safety pharmacology are encouraged and will be given preference.
The primary selection criterion is the quality of the student and the quality and suitability of the training, workshop, meeting or mentorship request. Recipients of the support will be selected based on their application materials and need for support. We expect to see evidence in the application materials that the candidate has strong interest in the field of safety pharmacology and that the proposed educational activity will help support them in this career path.
After the activity is completed, awardees will prepare a short summary of the educational opportunity and describe the educational outcomes/knowledge gained from attending the training. Please submit this summary to Krystle Correll within 30 days of completion of the activity along with your expense reimbursement form.
We will consider all application requests until the support funds available are used for that calendar year. Applications are reviewed and funds are awarded based on the date of acceptance/submission. We plan to support a maximum of 4 requests at up to $1,000 each per calendar year to support these training requests. Recipients must provide original receipts to SPS and complete a reimbursement form in order to receive their funds in a timely manner. Those awarded support also receive complimentary membership to SPS for the remainder of the year in which they are granted the funds.
- Submit a support request
- Support requests should be one page in length describing the educational activity the applicant wishes to attend, reasons the training will assist them in their career and the learning objectives they anticipate from the activity. In the request, please also mention the support needed and what the support covers (specific dollar amount, maximum $1,000).
- Submit a current CV
- Submit a letter from your supervisor supporting participation in the activity
All application materials should be submitted to Krystle Correll.
DEADLINE: We realize that training opportunities are held throughout the year, so we have a flexible application deadline. Applications should be received in the calendar year in which you wish to participate in the activity and must be received at least two months prior to the activity start date so the Committee has time to review the request.
Examples of expenses eligible for funding:
- Conference, training course, or workshop registrations (SPS Annual Meeting excluded)
- Internship or conference travel
Examples of expenses not eligible for funding:
- Tuition costs, or textbooks at current institution
- Personal entertainment and incidentals while attending the activity
- SPS Annual Meeting travel or registration
- SPS (or other organization) Membership Dues