Know Before You Go!—Washington, DC
We are looking forward to seeing you in Washington, DC for the 2018 SPS Annual Meeting. The Meeting is shaping up to be the event of the year with over 500 registrants to date!
The 2018 mobile app is available for download; all registered attendees should have received an email from DoubleDutch with login instructions. The app will be the best place to find real-time information regarding sessions, speakers, attendees, exhibitors, sponsors, maps, and access to poster abstracts.
International Travel Information
Visas: Find out if you need to apply for a visa before you plan to travel to The United States. Find out if you need a visa. All international travelers will need a current passport for entry into The United States. Please be sure your passport is valid for at least six months beyond the length of your stay in The United States.
While the potential for threats/protests to occur during our time in DC is low, we do take safety and security seriously. We will have a security presence at the Meeting near the Exhibit areas and session rooms and encourage all attendees to remove their badges when leaving the hotel. We also wish to remind you to be aware of your surroundings and stay alert while in tourist locations and public spaces. While we do not discourage you from exploring Washington, DC, we hope you keep some of these suggestions in mind when sightseeing.
The Washington Marriott Wardman Park is the headquarters hotel, all SPS Meetings will take place at the Headquarters hotel. The hotel is located in the Northwest DC’s Woodley Park neighborhood, a quiet oasis in the heart of the city with 16 acres of gardens, just steps away from the Metro, Adams Morgan and Dupont Circle. The SPS Annual Meeting will take place in the Washington Marriott Wardman Park.
Washington Marriott Wardman Park
2660 Woodley Road NW
Washington, DC 20008
To/From the Airport (Distance)
- Woodley Park-Zoo/Adams Morgan Metro Station: 0.1 mi
- Union Station: 3.5 mi
- DCA airport: 7 mi
- IAD airport: 24 mi
- BWI airport: 34 mi
Prices and Transportation
- From Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport (DCA): approximately $30
- From Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD): approximately $60
- From Baltimore/Washington International Airport (BWI): approximately $88
Washington Metro Area Public Transit
- From National Airport Metro Station: By rail Blue Line towards Largo Town Center, transfer to Red Line towards Shady Grove at Metro Center Station, exit at Woodley Park-Zoo Metro Station (approximately 35 minutes)
- From Dulles International Airport: Silver Line Express Bus to Wiehle-Reston East Metro Station. By rail from Wiehle-Reston East Metro Station, Silver Line towards Largo Town Center, transfer to Red Line towards Shady Grove at Metro Center Station, exit at Woodley Park-Zoo Metro Station (approximately 75 minutes)
- From Union Station Metro Station: By rail Red Line towards Shady Grove, exit at Woodley Park-Zoo Metro Station (approximately 15 minutes)
- Use WMATA’s Trip Planner to view exact fares and schedules
Things to See and Do in DC
DC offers numerous options for familiarizing yourself with the city, whether it be on foot, Segway, bike, or bus! Guided city tours are provided by numerous reputable companies.
Museums, Monuments and Memorials
Washington is the home of the Smithsonian Institute which includes 17 world-renowned museums, galleries and a zoo, all are free and open to the public. DC is famous for its national monuments and memorials, the majority of which are situated around the National Mall, America’s most-visited national park.
Home to several Michelin Star restaurants and celebrity chef José Andrés, DC dining doesn’t disappoint. Start planning your culinary tour of the city now!
The things to do and see in Washington, DC are nearly endless, to explore even more click here